Monday, May 14, 2012

My obsession with Anne of Green Gables

My first true love happened in my mid-teens, and it’s to her that all my girlfriends, or possible girlfriends, have been compared to since. One Christmas I saw the Anne of Green Gables mini-series with Megan Fellows, and she quite stole my heart – the character of Anne Shirley that is.

But what was it that I found so attractive? Well firstly, she was clever and not afraid to show it. She was witty and creative too - she became a writer which has always been a passion of mine. Moreover, she generally did not apologize for being who she was or the way she was. She was also feisty. I like feisty. Instead of accepting social norms, unflinching authority, or bowing down to convention, she went up against them. Plus, when Gilbert Bligh was being an idiot, she smashed a slate over his head.

I have a relatively strong personality, and sometimes need reining in or I can trample over people, or my exploits can get out of hand – I’ve always looked for an Anne Shirley who can keep up with me, who will challenge me, who will inspire me, but who will call me out when I’m being a doofus.

Admittedly Anne Shirley was somewhat whittery as a girl. In the mini-series this is toned down a bit compared to the books, and I definitely prefer the less babbling version.

Anne (with an “e”) went on to become a teacher, and a good one at that. This was another appeal, particularly in my later life. I’m a teacher myself (having taught elementary, high school, community college and now university classes). My mother, and sister both did teacher training, and my step-mother was a math teacher all her life. I naturally gravitate towards (good) teachers – they are my people, they share my values and much of my underlying motivation to spread enthusiasm for learning and discovery. In some way Anne Shirley may have even inspired me to get into education, but I think wanting to teach is something that has always been fundamentally part of me, part of my soul.

The slightly more worldly, Anne Shirley teacher and writer, was my dream woman from teenage years. Her and Sandra Bullock. And Velma from Scooby–doo … but that’s another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment