Sunday, June 10, 2012

Got my fedora, got my whip, let adventure begin ...


To be perfectly clear, yes I have both, I got the latter as a present from students who thought I needed one to fulfill the whole Indiana Jones image when traveling - although due to awkwardly trying to explain to an official why I had I whip on one field trip (not helped by catcalls from certain grad students), I don't take it with me traveling any more, despite it being a great prop.

So today, the morning was a bit of a disaster, the guide didn't appear and there was a big phone around to track him down. Eventually persuaded a local boat operator to go out to where he was staying and pick him up at his house. Having a guide was pretty important because today was a canoe trip through jungle, and a journey to what the locals called "the bat cave" (so I spent the morning with the campy 70s batman theme running in my head). I was a little nervous of having anything to do with a canoe, as last time I went canoeing, it capsized (twice) and as a result of all my belongings getting soaked, I lost a camera and iPhone, as well as my sense of humor and dignity. But all went well. We paddled down narrow rivers through mangrove forest and dark avenues if palm trees and ferns. It was a little like the (sadly already cancelled - didn't I say I was a curse to TV shows) show "The River", or maybe "Heart of Darkness". The highlight had to be passing under a two-toed sloth, narrowly avoiding being pooped on in slow motion. I love sloths by the way. They are amongst my favorite non-aquatic mammals the three toed sloth is slighted cuter than the 2-toed sloth in my opinion as they look like "the mystics" from the movie the Dark Crystal).

 Sloth

The bat cave was really interesting - packed with several species of bats as well as lots of amblypygids, or false whip scorpions, and spiders. Definitely not a place for people who hate creepy crawlies. The cave was flooded in parts, forcing us to wade through freezing cold water (more a thick solution of mud and bat poo in some parts), sometimes up to our necks. In one part of the cave, it was so deep that the guide suddenly disappeared underwater, waving his hand in the air. I tried to get some photos with a new underwater camera a friend gave me for my birthday, and I'll be interested to see if they come out (sadly due to a technical hitch I couldn't use it when snorkeling yesterday). Outside of the cave, by the way, were a bunch of tiny red tree frogs - quite frankly it would have made my day to see those, let alone bats and sloths.


 Whip scorpion

But adventure was not finished for the day. I headed off scuba diving, with a diving company called "La Buga" ( not pronounced La Bug-Ah Divers as I was emphatically informed). The location was an area where plantation boats used to moor in the early 1900s, and decades of anchors scraping the seabed had carved the underwater landscape. My dive buddy was Carlos, an ex-computer engineer who had made a fortune and then retired to run an Eco-B&B and be a dive bum for as long as he could. He told me that his girlfriend was a zoologist from the UK who worked on turtle conservation, and so we had a good old chat about dolphin hugging and marine critters.

The dive was better than I expected. There was quite a diversity of fish, and lots of brightly colored soft corals. Sadly too deep to use my little underwater camera though. Carlos was obsessed by stingrays and insisted on chasing them whenever we saw them - had he not heard what happened to Steve Erwin? The most depressing thing that we saw on the dive were a number of lion fish. Although these fish look quite dramatic and pretty, in case you don't know, they are an invasive species that comes from the Indo-Pacific and were released into the Caribbean Sea by an aquarium. They are voracious predators and will eat anything they can find, but nothing in the Caribbean eats them. As a result, increasingly you can find coral reefs picked clean of fish except for a few obese lion fish and a small number of survivors. They are like the terminators of the fish world.

And talking of eating ... before I sign off, I'd just like to give a little praise for the delicatessen next to the hotel. This tiny little shop seriously gives Trader Joe's a run for it's money. My picnic brunch today was ciabatta and goat's cheese, and smoothie made with organic chocolate from locally grown cacao. The fact that I can munch on this while lazing in my hammock, chilling in a cool sea breeze ... well it doesn't get much better than this. 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment