Friday, June 1, 2012

Kraken down under (part 3) - platypussies galore

So this was the full day in Australia. Jet lag was still a problem - throughout the day went through periods of wide-eyed awakeness and hyperactivity, then crashed and turn into a sleep-deprived zombie. But despite this we got a lot of work done and we've pretty much arranged our conference. Throughout the day we got to sample the delights of a number of restaurants and event venues.

Today I got to cuddle the koala, feed the emu and pet the kangaroo - and none of these are smutty euphemisms. The highlight of the day was visiting a koala bear sanctuary. The sanctuary was set up in the 1920s with two koala bears, and is now a quite impressive facility with a variety of native Australian wildlife, including a number of koalas, emus, kangaroos. As I mentioned above, conservationists are trying to get better protection of koala bears because numbers are dwindling, but are facing fierce opposition from developers who don't want pesky koala habitat stopping then from building that hotel, or housing estate. Climate change predictions for Australia, and models of patterns of habitat loss, currently don't paint a rosy future for the koala.

Koalas are as squishy and cuddly as they look by the way, although not terribly bright, and smell faintly of Vicks vaporub. Their babies are called joeys, like those of kangaroos, which was news to me. And talking of kangaroos - they have a coat a little like a German shepherd, and the one I petted pretty much just acted like a dog, rolling over to let me scratch it's belly. But one beastie I really wanted to see was the platypus. There was one at the sanctuary - called Barack - and he was adorable. Like an otter wearing a Donald duck mask and scuba flippers. Unfortunately I couldn't get a great photo as he hid in a little underwater cave most of the time. Anyway, a ridiculously cute creature even if all the other species laugh at it for looking like a doofus.
Also during the day I visited the University of Queensland - a pretty looking university on the river, consisting of an eclectic mix of architectural styles from impressive sandstone neo-classical halls to shite 1950s concrete monstrosities. It has a similar number of students to my university, except they have the proper facilities and infrastructure for a school that size. Gossiping with the faculty and grad students there, their complaints about administrators being incompetent, petty, spiteful politics amongst faculty, lazy and entitled undergrad students, pretty much demonstrated that universities are much the same everywhere.

A college at the University of Queensland

As I said, we did get to see a lot of venues, and the day ended with drinks in the modern art museum, and dinner on the river front - an excellent little Italian restaurant with a delicious gnocchi and a great selection of wines. So we spent the evening there chatting about growing up in the UK (I was with a couple of ex-pat Brits), stories about stupid things people has done at conferences, and as I had been the only male amongst a huge gaggle a female events planners, I found myself again providing sage advice about how guys think and behave - with one of the big themes being why men never read instruction manuals, and how they always have to "fix" a problem instead of listen - so I feel another blog posting coming on soon.
If you've been following this blog, you'll know that I was supposed to have gone to Australia before, but it never happened. So although it was only a flying visit, it was great to have finally got here, and despite the jet lag, it was worth it. Now to go back home, and sleep for a week.

Afterword
At breakfast just now my travelling companion/colleague reminded me of one of her favorite activities from yesterday – the miniature horse show (like a donkey show, but more upper middle class). It didn’t really do it for me – we used to have a Shetland pony when I was a kid, and although it looked cute it was a psychotic, mean creature – not unlike a couple of exes. I am feeling a little guilty about spending over $100 on toys in the sanctuary shop though. The largest purchase was a 3’ stuffed platypus, which was ridiculously squishy and last night used it as a neck pillow, but woke up hugging it. So I had to slip out of my room quietly with my bags to check out and get to breakfast - I felt a bit of a cad, but I left some cash on the nightstand for her.
Adios Oz.

No comments:

Post a Comment